Thursday, June 9, 2011

When to Adjust Your Goals

Three weeks ago, I announced to the world* that I would finish my draft on June 15th. For those who don't remember my editing process, that means I committed to completing two editing passes--big changes in purple ink, and smaller adjustments in pink.

June 15th has drawn ever closer, and my progress did not keep up with the steady march of time. Other things fell to the wayside, things like sleep and exercise. I forgot a promise I made to a friend, because I was so focused on finishing this draft. I had a sneaking suspicion that I had bitten off more than I could chew.

Yeah, something like that.

So, Tuesday night I made an executive decision. (As an indie author, I am my own executive.) "Finish the draft" now means getting through the purple revisions. That's the hardest part anyway--I've been flying through the pink edits like nobody's business. If I can at least make it the whole way through my novel and  have a solid, working draft, I will be happy.

Tune in next Thursday to see how I did.

*AKA Facebook