Monday, January 3, 2011

New Beginnings

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid. ~Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

I have a great deal of pleasure in novels, both in the writing and the reading of them. For several years, I have been entranced by the genre known as "Austenesque novels" or "Austen sequels." The characters Jane Austen created are so richly drawn that we feel there must be more to their lives than what she showed us in her works. Who doesn't want to know more about Mr. Darcy or Captain Wentworth?

As I read the novels available, a story of my own slowly formed in my mind. Why was Darcy so reticent to give his good opinion to anyone he met, and why did Elizabeth gain it without even trying? I read Pride and Prejudice once again, seeking an answer to that question, and when I found it I started to write.

That novel is now in its first round of rewrites, and I have other Austen stories germinating in my imagination, waiting for a chance to grow. Writing can be a solitary pursuit, and this blog gives me a place to share my struggles and my Austen insights with you, and to grow and learn from you in the process.

Moving from the world of hobbyist into that of a professional writer is a scary step, and I'm glad I won't be taking it alone.